Most everyone has been on a quick day hike. This can be as short as 1 hour to as long as 6-7 hours. No matter the length of the hike for the day there are some essential items that you need to remember to bring with you. Being a ready hiker means you are prepared for the hike. Don’t be the person who is in need of help because you were not prepared. Don’t be ‘That Guy’.
- Day Pack – this can be a small fanny pack or a small backpack. It is important to have something with you that can hold your stuff.
- Water – you can never bring too much water, especially on a hot day. Bring plenty of water.
- Small First Aid Kit – this is necessary just in case you or someone else gets a minor injury.
- Hat – or something to shield your eyes and catch the sweat.
- Good Shoes or Boots
- Dress in layers – it may be cold when you start, but it may heat up as the day wears on.
- Walking Poles – Very optional. But, if you take children with you they are a great toy or distraction for them to play with – trust me.